Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Crossing over to the dark side....

Mac vs. PC

I've bought a Mac. Well, technically I'm renting it, but still, I'm going to consider it mine. 
It's very cute, small and light and compact - although I stopped short of paying an extra $1000 to have it wafer-thin and able to be slipped into envelopes....

I've wanted a Mac for a while. I've always liked using iTunes (I've heard it's more user-friendly on a Mac, but haven't got around to trying it out yet), and I'm excited about all the media stuff I can do: Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto...

Mind you, I've got to learn how to use it properly first! I've got the basics down, but it's gonna take a while for me to figure it out. Lucky the holidays are coming up (or maybe unlucky - is this going to take me away from important holiday business?).

PCs and Macs are a bit like Holdens and Fords I think. People viciously defend their chosen tool, putting down the opposition wherever possible (I guess the computer companies are probably guilty of that, too). Me, I think both have admirable qualities. Macs have that wonderful media thing going on, but PCs are much easier to get software (or support - as I found out after calling my ISP help desk) for. 
So I'm passing my PC on to my son. First year of high school, I think he's ready. He's stoked of course, but so am I, because it means it's not that far away...



No comments: